Sr. Network / Systems Engineer
Sr. Network / Systems Engineer
Allen, TX • Fort Wayne, IN
Job ID: 4475
About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 25 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its FiOS® and Vantage™ fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
Sr. Network / Systems Engineer - Job Description
The Senior Network/Systems Engineer plans, designs, analyzes, maintains and installs network devices and firewalls on the enterprise network. Assists in the development and maintenance of network infrastructure communications. Helps design and install internal and external networks. Tests and evaluates network systems to eliminate problems and make improvements. Provides support to other departments, vendors and business organizations. Has advanced troubleshooting skills encompassing all aspects of information systems, including network, firewall, and application diagnostics. Assists in directing, mentoring and advising network team members. Works collaboratively with Principal Network Engineers on network architecture, standards, and policies. Uses defined standards, industry best-practices, communications requirements and capacity planning as required by the needs of the organization.
- Design, implement, and support network solutions that align architectural strategy with business objectives.
- Ensure delivery of network services and IP communications for company employees.
- Provision VLANs and IP routing within data centers and company facilities.
- Configure and troubleshoot VPNs, firewalls, load balancers, and DNS/DHCP services.
- Document and diagram network resources, configurations, sites, and services.
- Follow implementation guidelines, standards, and policies to ensure all quality standards are met.
- Work collaboratively with project managers, coworkers, and IT personnel to ensure expectations are set and met.
- 5+ years as a Network Engineer in either an enterprise or service provider network.
- Demonstrated level of competency with most or all the following network technologies:
- Principles of networking (OSI model, TCP/IP model)
- Network routing protocols (BGP and OSPF)
- Enterprise routers and switches
- Firewalls and access control lists
- IPSEC VPN technologies
- Virtual routing technologies
- Software defined networking concepts
- Strong troubleshooting skills including the ability to lead troubleshooting initiatives, identify complex issues, suggest and implement resolutions, and document root-cause of outage in challenging situations.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and be productive in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work independently, as a member of a team, or lead a team while carrying out assigned responsibilities.
- Ability to manage long-term projects.
- Flexibility to be available for occasional night and weekend implementation projects when required.
- Bachelors or Associates degree in Computer Science or another IT-related field.
- CCNP or CCNA, or equivalent.
- Prior experience managing a large network containing Cisco, F5, A10, or Palo Alto hardware.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products, including Visio.
- Understanding of Wireshark and/or other packet analysis tools.
- Ability to read, understand, and explain packet captures.
- Understanding of network automation technologies, such as Salt, Ansible, NetMRI, and Linux.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.