IT Systems Engineer
IT Systems Engineer
Remote, • Fort Wayne, IN
Job ID: 6419
About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 25 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
Frontier Communications, Inc. is seeking a talented IT Systems Engineer to focus on IT application support operations including service activation of voice, data, and video service across the network. The focus will extend to automation and tools to support network inventory, assignment and diagnostics in addition to provisioning. This position will require a strong background in networking and a strong desire to learn IT architecture and end-to-end system provisioning workflow. In this position one will learn how to support the architecture, design, and configuration of our provisioning system that manages the network.
The candidate will be responsible for maintaining the design documents for the OSS Network, providing Root Cause Analysis (RCA) to system or network issues, administering IT applications, assisting the development teams with identifying requirement changes that will impact the network, and creating and debugging automation to support network implementation. This person will be responsible understanding the design of the business and network logic used to provision the network for voice, data, and video services voice switches, service routers, and access network elements.
The ideal candidate has working knowledge of TL1, CLI, XML, JSON commands and a passion for automating provisioning functionality. The position requires a balance of software and network skills to serve as a “jack of all trades” expert. This role requires server/database administration, programming, system testing, and network investigative work. This position includes expectations to support IT systems for evening deployments, weekend deployments and upgrades, and ‘24x7 On-Call’ activities.
IT Systems Engineer - Primary Responsibilities:
- Provide production operations support for OSS network assignment and provisioning applications.
- Maintain Architecture, Design, and Configuration documents revolving around network, hardware, database, and programming technology.
- Assist with UAT Testing, Network Deployment and certification after thorough automated system tests in lab environment.
- Identify and correct data integrity issues through generating T-SQL scripts to cleanse data issues.
- Modify necessary customer profiles in our provisioning platform for voice, data, and video services.
- Identify and Solve complex network or software problems impacting provisioning platform.
- Maintain network provisioning standardization policies used by Operations teams.
- Assist Network Provisioning team with Network Grooming leveraging the OSS provisioning systems.
- Expand implementation of automated provisioning from FTTH and Video to xDSL technologies
- Troubleshoot and support webservices between IT systems
Required Skills and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or a related subject matter is preferred
- 2+ years’ experience with a Telecommunications or Cable operator that delivers customers broadband
- 1+ years’ experience with a programming language (i.e. Python, HTML, C++, C#, Java, PHP, etc.)
- Strong understanding of networking components (i.e., PCs, Routers, Multiplexers, Bridges, Switches, etc.)
- Basic understanding of IPTV and RF video architectures (both system and network)
- Experience using XML, TL1, CLI, and TR-069 commands to interact with network elements
- Solid understanding of a network between a distribution service router and the customer’s premise
- Strong understanding of the access network (both DSL and FTTH)
- Basic understanding of customer services and equipment inside the home (Voice, Data, and Video)
- Requires strong interpersonal skills to interact with users and customers.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Alcatel-Lucent, Cisco, or Juniper certifications are a major plus
- 2+ years’ experience provisioning customers on a DSL, PON, or digital cable network
- Understand Layer 2 Protocols: Switched Ethernet, VPLS, MPLS, 802.1q, VPN Tunnel, QoS, ATM/FR, STP, MST
- Working knowledge of Layer 3 and Services: TCP/IP Routing, DHCP, PPPOE, ACL, BGP, ISIS, OSPF, VPN,VRRP, HSRP, PPP, AAA, TACACS
- Experience with in-home equipment (Slingbox, Routers, HPNA Converters, NIMs, STBs, TIVO, Cable Cards, etc.)
- Expert on FTTP PON/VDSL network architecture (IP Layer 3, IP Layer 2, IP Video, and QAM)
- Experience with Jira and Confluence Products
- Experience performing large scale data transformations for OSS applications
- Experience with a version control system like Git, Team Foundation Server or Subversion
- Experience with webservices communications frameworks and standards (IIS, NGINIX, Apache Tomcat: TCP/IP, HTTP, JSON, Java, HTML, and XML)
- Experience with Microsoft Reporting Services or an equivalent business intelligence tool
Highly Desired Skills
- Operating Systems: Windows Server and Linux
- Development Tools: Microsoft Visual Studio, Eclipse, SoapUI, Postman
- Source Control: Git, Team Foundation Server (TFS), Subversion, VSS, or Vault
- Languages: Python, C# 2010, T-SQL
- Databases: Informix, MongoDB, Microsoft SQL, MySQL, Oracle 11g, DB2
- Scripting: SSMA, SSIS, T-SQL, XML, or PowerShell, Bash
- SDLC: Agile-Scrum, Iterative, Waterfall
The person should also possess the following traits:
- Enjoy working with others in a team atmosphere.
- Thrives in a collaborative work environment.
- Able to work with and refine loose business requirements.
- Self-motivated and flexible
- Have a “customer-service first” orientation.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.