Engr, Network Planning
Engr, Network Planning
Allen, TX • Newbury Park, CA • Manteca, CA • Tampa, FL • Pomona, CA
Job ID: 5805
About Frontier Communications
Frontier® Communications provides communications services to urban, suburban, and rural communities in 25 states. Frontier offers a variety of services to residential customers over its fiber-optic and copper networks, including video, high-speed internet, advanced voice, and Frontier Secure® digital protection solutions. Frontier Business™ offers communications solutions to small, medium, and enterprise businesses.
Position Summary: The main responsibility of the Network Planner for this Position is to understand and design network elements providing both Fiber-to-the-Home and access services into the network. As such they will be required to interface with multiple groups and collaborate on intra- and inter-state designs for implementation. They will be expected to review Wirecenter Strategies and design Fiber to the Home networks to cover the targeted households within a community/Wirecenter, from an IRR & NPV perspective. Additional area of emphasis will be placed on the FTTH Grant Subsidy Initiatives, such as Federal, State, County, & Local Municipalities. Having familiarity w/ Public Utility Commission’s & Public Service Commissions throughout the entire Frontier footprint. Understanding and analyzing grant & State commission guidelines and contracts nationwide. The position will provide solutions and advance strategic company initiatives that align with FTR’s current FTTH strategy, when it comes to subsidies available to landline providers across the nation.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Detail network design elements
- Fiber (BAU and FTTH)
- Grant FTTH Planning design related to Frontier FTTH strategy. Strategize Federal, State, County, & Local Municipality subsidy programs and how it could apply and benefit Frontier in its long term FTTH goals.
- Interpreting State Commission contracts and guidelines. Using data to analyze best approach for Frontier’s FTTH iniatitive.
- RDOF design and support for access and transport deployment
- In depth knowledge of GIS systems used: FROGS, BSA, GAP, QGIS etc.
- Implement process improvements to standardize and reduce costs in the network designs
- Understand and Engineer network equipment in support of current approved architectures as well as lead examples for FOA’s and trial deployments
- Ensure Architecture and Planning standards are adhered to
- Strong technical, analytical, and organizational skills associated with planning, design and implementation of complicated service provider architectures and applications
- Strong written and interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate complex topics in both written and verbal form.
- Understanding of large-scale network capacity management and modeling.
- Strong large-scale network troubleshooting skills
Equipment Knowledge of:
- Nokia – 73XX
- FTTH OLT’s (Moto, Calix, Nokia)
- Adtran – TA500x, TA1X48vx, 8044m
- Calix – C7, E3, E7
- Fiber Management – FDF
- BAU FDP’s
- Fiber specs and characteristics
- Connector types and impacts to design
- Work in and understand engineering systems:
- Infinium - work order estimating and material ordering system
- M6 - Circuit and equipment inventory and design system
- Varasset – Work Order Project Flow
- FROGS, BSA, DPI
- Various web-based programs
- Excellent organizational skills, communication skills (written and verbal) and computer skills particularly around Microsoft Office Suite products.
- B.S. in Engineering or equivalent is desirable or a minimum of 5 years of experience in a data or Telco related position. Must be able to demonstrate technical knowledge of data and circuit equipment.
- Specifications: Individuals filling this position must be able to work well under pressure and be well versed in Telecom engineering and construction. The individual must also understand Ethernet technology and IP transport design criteria.
- Understanding of accounting guidelines, tariffs, and have strong capital budget background. Individual must be available to work the necessary hours to complete projects on time and within budget.
Nationwide. Manteca, Pomona, Redlands, Thousand Oaks CA. Bloomington, IL, Allen, TX, Ft. Wayne, IN, Tampa, FL, Rochester, NY, United States Including any other major Frontier Engineering offices.
Frontier Communications is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.